Wednesday, December 11, 2013

I Have a Garden

Barner, Bob. I Have a Garden. New York: Holiday House, 2013.

Told from the perspective of a dog, the dog is telling the reader everything that can be found in a garden...besides flowers.  The dog finds a variety of small animals and bugs.

Barner's writing style is very simple in this book.  One page says, "I have a bug in my garden." While another page says, "I have a bee."

Barner's illustrations are very big, bright, and colorful.  The artwork is consistent from page to page. The artwork was made with paper collage, gouache, pastel, and pencil.

I would recommend this book for any beginning reader, the illustrations match the text perfectly.  The bugs and animals in this book are very cute. The text shouldn't be intimidating to a beginning or struggling reader because there are only about five words for every few pages, and the pictures match the text.

Reviewer: Alycia Robinson

No comments: