Friday, December 13, 2013

Awaken

Cabot, Meg. Awaken, 2013. Point.

17- year- old Pierce is sent to the underworld with her boyfriend , John, after her possessed grandma killed her.  While in the underworld, she and John are in charge of sorting souls, but a storm comes due to an imbalance in life/death.  They work together through many challenges trying to get things back in place before death takes over.  In the process, John loses his life and Pierce searches for a way to bring him back, while also trying to find the balance between life and death.

Cabot's writing style is very thorough throughout the book.  She tells, in detail, Pierce's thought process and the descriptions of the scenery around her.  Although the book sounds very dark in my explanation, it doesn't seem like it at all.

I think this book is very good.  It has some suspenseful moments that kept me on the edge of my seat and I found myself wanting to just read more even when I knew I didn't have the time.  I don't know how I feel about this being a teenage book, but I guess I have seen worse.  Some of the descriptions were a little too much at times because I found myself having to go back and remember what was going on between the characters which is a problem I have never had before.  Overall, I would recommend this book.

Melissa Pullano, BGSU student

No comments: