Thursday, April 22, 2010

Otis


Long, Loren. Otis. Philomel. 2009. 9780399252488. Ages 4-8.

Otis is about a little red tractor and a little calf at a farm. One day the farmer comes to the farm with a big yellow tractor and makes Otis move out, but then Otis saves the calf's life. The illustrations are rather dull, but not in a bad way. I really like the illustrations but I think they are a little too dull in every picture. For example, the sky is tan and not blue, and I understand that farmland is mostly brown. My favorite part is when the baby calf gets stuck in a big puddle of mud and the fireman cannot get the little calf out. the yellow tractor is too scared to the the little calf ouytof the mud and it is Otis who is brave and pulls the calf out. I would recommend this book to 2nd graders and under because it is a picture book that would make a good bedtime story at night.
A.M., Kenwood School, 3rd grade

No comments: