Thursday, October 22, 2009

Big George : How A Shy Boy Became President Washington

Rockwell, Anne. Big George : how a shy boy became President Washington. Illustrated by Matt Phelan. Harcourt: 2009. ISBN: 9780152165833.

Big George by Anne Rockwell was a very descriptive and interesting book. The artwork was very interesting and it went well with the text. The only problem I saw with the pictures was the eyes were to small for the faces. What I thought was interesting was how it described how he was never wounded in battle, and how well the pictures related to the text. I thought this book was very good for its reading level, because it gave lots of information about our first president. I thought one of the many strengths in this book was the "A note from the author" section. I got to learn even more from that section. I though one of its weaknesses was how it was about his childhood, because I thought his childhood was a little boring. I think kids that want to learn about George Washington, read a challenging book, or look at pictures would like this book. I would recommend this book to first and second graders.

B.T. 7th Grade. Eastwood Middle School.

No comments: