Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mahalia Mouse Goes to College


Lithgow, John. Mahalia Mouse Goes to College. Illustrated by: Igor Oleynikow. Simon and Schuster: 2007. ISBN: 978-1-4169-2715-0.

In this novel, Mahalia Mouse and her family are very, very poor. Her mother is afraid that her babies may starve to death. Mahalia is sent off to go fetch food for her family at this college. When she finally arrives at the college she decides to take classes. One day a classmate spotted her. They told their professor and he noticed Mahalia's notes. The professor decided Mahalia could stay. The only question is what about the rest of her family? I believe that this novel should be recommended for grades four and up. I also believe that this novel is very satisfying to readers. When I first saw it I thought I would not enjoy it. Well, you know what they say... Never judge a book by its cover.


Reviewed by: V.W., Grade 6, Arcadia Elementary.

No comments: