Friday, July 14, 2006

Merlin and the Making of a King

Hodges, Margaret. Merlin and the Making of a King. Illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman. Holiday House, 2004. ISBN 082341647X. $16.95. Ages 9-12.

Merlin and the Making of a King retold by Margaret Hodges and illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman was a great book. This book was published by Holiday House books in New York. This book was based on one of my favorite subjects, King Arthur. The storyline was the traditional tale of King Arthur and his knights. The pictures went exactly with the words and really added feeling. The painted illustrations are beautifully drawn; their color draws your eyes. I loved this book and recommend it to younger kids fascinated with medieval literature and King Arthur. I also liked how detailed the facts were about King Arthur. The wording is easily understood. It was a tad bit wordy, but yet very interesting. The font used in the chapter titles is a bit challenging to read because some letters look alike. If I was to go shopping and see this, I would buy this for my little sister. She is very good at reading, and I know she would love it.

K. F.., Otsego Middle School, Tontogany, Ohio.

No comments: