Monday, March 31, 2014

Gone Fishing A Novel in Verse

Wissinger, Tamera W, and Matthew Cordell. Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse. , 2013. 

Imprint: Houghton Mifflin


This story was about a young boy named Sam who cannot wait to go on a fishing trip with his dad until his younger sister gets invited to go along.  To make matters worse, his little sister, Lucy was catching fish, after fish, after fish.  Sam eventually catches a large catfish and Lucy calls him a hero.  Sam then feels bad for not wanting Lucy to come along and ends up very thankful for his family.

I loved the writing style in this book.  Each page is a poem from the perspective of Sam, Lucy, or their dad. Each poem follows the story line, but each poem is set up differently.  This book would be a great tool to use in the classroom to introduce or to review poetry.

The illustrations were great.  They were fun to look at but not distracting.  There was a picture for each poem which made this book fun and easy to read.  I loved the illustration of Lucy, especially! She definitely looks like the little sister I'd picture in my head.

Yes, I loved this book so much! I will read this to my future kids someday for sure.  I loved the little Fishing Prayer Poem.  It was so cute and made the book just perfect!  I really liked that Lucy was so encouraging for her older brother and Sam was humbled by the fishing trip.  It teaches kids valuable lessons as well as poetry.

This book would appeal to ages 4 and older

Reviewer: AZ


No comments: