Friday, March 16, 2007

I Am I

Fitzpatrick, Marie-Louise. I Am I. Roaring Brook Press, 2006. ISBN 1-59643-054-0 $16.95. Ages 5-10.

I Am I, by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick, is a wonderful, colorful book about two young boys who are competing to be king of the world! In this exciting book, Fitzpatrick effortlessly presents the concepts of warring, and the consequences of one’s actions along with beauty, and the power of an apology in a flawless context for young readers. Through earth tone acrylics, and powerful texture, Fitzpatrick creates images of a wide, vast, natural world, untouched by man (or boy!) and ripe for the taking. The text and artwork cooperate in every page. Fitzpatrick’s imaginative use of rough-sketchy font not only expresses emotions, shapes, sizes, and volume, but she creatively turns the boys’ words into images which represent the meaning and effect their words have on each other and the world they are fighting for.

Maria Spiess, BGSU student

No comments: